Excerpts from Timberline Tales Number 2 January 1966 — Elk River Valley April 16-18 1965

— Originally published January 2, 1966   
A note about the transcription: Careful attention has been given to the original text. Though difficult to read at times, I have preserved the original text, including any evident typos. 

Read Original Document

This was the weekend we were to join the Outdoor Club of Victoria on their trip to the West Coast. While we waited at the Duncan Parking lot in the cold rain for the group to arrive, the up-island members reported there waas no rain North of Naniamo. Since we were a self-contained group, and a change of plans would not hinder the Outdoor Club, we headed north to Strathcona Park for the weekend. By the time we reached Parksville, the sun was trying to shine. From Courtenay on , it was a bright, sunny day.

On arriving at our campsite on the East bank of Tlools Creek, west of Buttle Lake, we had lunch. Since the afternoon was free, we drove on up the Elk River valley, through the pass, descended the Heber Valley to Gold River, and continued down its canyon with the many waterfalls and pools. Rock on the side of the road were covered with pink Easter lillics at many points. On arriving at the bay, we photographed the old town of Gold River at the side of the mountain. We were seeing it for the last time, as it would be demolished. While driving back over the new bridge at the Gold River townsite, where the Gold River joins the Heber River, I looked downstream and saw the remains of the old cable bridge. My mind went back ten years or so to when I walked along trails in the area with the big trees trying to meet overhead. What was then a most beautiful river valley was now a slashed hillside, with the Cats workin on the new townsite. I wonder if we have to destroy so much in the name of progress. As we neared our campsite, we stopped to view Elk Breeding on the side of Big Den mountain. We were wondering how they would make out now that a new highway and power lines are to be constructed through the valley.

The nest day dawned quite clear, but clouded up after breakfast, with a mixture of cloud and sunshine during the rest of the day. After getting away to a good start, we hiked back along the logging road a few hundred yards to the point where the south ridge of Mt. Flannigan comes down to the Road. More we climbed up this ridge as it is perfect going along open rock slopes covered with flowers. Due to the late spring they were just coming out. Near the 30000 foot level we came to soft snow. As the peak could wait for another day, we came back down a short way and spent an hour or so by a warm fire, enjoying the view before retracing our steps to camp and supper, followed by a quiet evening by the campfire.

Sunday commenced cloudy with the peaks hidden. Since the weatherman was forecasting rain from the south, we cut the trip short and returned home after a most enjoyable weekend.

[participant names omitted for privacy reasons]

Syd. Watts.

Leave a Reply